This post is all about how to make Rainbow Rolls using tortillas and hummus.
Published August 4, 2023
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
These Rainbow Rolls are quite easy to make and delicious to eat. Between the sweetness of the bell peppers and the creaminess of the Hummus, this is a fun snack to eat on a long road trip.
Spring Break Road Trip
Birthday week is always a joy. This year, instead of August, we celebrated Elliana and my birthdays for the kids’ spring break in March. We traveled to Tennesse and spent a week with a family road trip. Our plan was to drive straight through, from Wisconsin to Tennesse, and packing a lunch was essential to keeping our schedule.
While on vacation, we saw so many sites and had many adventures! In our travels from Wisconsin down to Tennesse, watching the land go from small hills and vast fields to rolling hills and climbing mountains.
Gatlinburg was stunning. Hiking and seeing the sites, caving and picnicking. We saw one cave that was absolutely stunning, with stalactites and stalagmites, a river rushing through, and many other fascinating landmarks to see.
Gatlinburg was a quaint and lively town, filled with the most delicious eateries and shops. We had ice cream, walked the town and enjoyed seeing all of the wonderful buildings.
Our middle son, Matthew, forged a knife with the local blacksmith. It was a wonderful memory for him. He forged the knife out of rebar, which was fun to do for him, as Tyler is a carpenter. This day was hot, especially for Tennesse in March. We walked away with a sharp knife and sunburn, while our friends and family in Wisconsin suffered a massive snowstorm.
Aquarium and fish
The Aquarium was an exciting adventure, seeing creatures we do not see in the aquariums in Wisconsin. We pet stingrays, saw giant crabs, sharks and pufferfish.
My favorite are these little sand eels that burrow in the sand and pop their little bodies out like a stick. The kids loved seeing the axolotl. What funny little creatures they are!
There is an abundance of hiking opportunities in Tennesse to see. Rivers winding through the hills and stunning views around each corner. We stopped many times to get out of the van to take in the new sights. One could spend weeks hiking and seeing the sights.
Make them Gluten-Free
For the option to make these Rainbow Rolls Gluten-Free, use the specific wraps that are certified Gluten-Free. These can be found now at most major retailers.
Make them Dairy-Free
Additionally, these Rainbow Rolls can also be made Dairy-Free by using vegan cheese. By using vegan cheese, these now become Vegan Rainbow Rolls.
Ingredients for Rainbow Rolls
Tortillas or Flatbread
Red, Yellow, Orange Pepper
Directions for Rainbow Rolls
1. In a sink colander, rinse the bell peppers, then place them on a cutting board.
Out of all the items needed for this recipe, the main thing is a cutting board to cut the veggies and assemble the Rainbow Rolls. These cutting boards are dishwasher safe and great to pull out and use quickly.
2. Cut the bell peppers in half, removing the stem and seeds.
3. Slice the bell peppers into long slices, then set aside.
4. Using a box grater, shred mozzarella cheese and set aside.
5. Lay a large tortilla or flatbread on a cutting board. I chose to use flatbread, as there will not be waste when rolling them up.
Follow me on Pinterest…
6. Using an offset spatula, spread Hummus onto the flatbread, covering the whole surface.
7. If desired, spread shredded cheese over the Hummus. Additionally, you can add sliced meat onto the Hummus before rolling it up.
8. Lay the sliced bell peppers onto the flatbread.
9. Roll one end of the flatbread, into a roll.
10. Cut the Rainbow Roll with a knife into 1/2-inch slices.
This post is all about how to make your own Rainbow Rolls.
- Cutting board
- Large Tortillas OR Flatbread
- 3 Bell Peppers red, yellow, orange
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- In a sink colander, rinse the bell peppers, then place them on a cutting board.
- Cut the bell peppers in half, removing the stem and seeds.
- Slice the bell peppers into long slices, then set aside.
- Using a box grater, shred mozzarella cheese and set aside.
- Lay a large tortilla or flatbread on a cutting board.
- Using an offset spatula, spread Hummus onto the flatbread, covering the whole surface.
- If desired, spread shredded cheese over the Hummus.
- Lay the sliced bell peppers onto the flatbread.
- Roll one end of the flatbread, into a roll.
- Cut the Rainbow Roll with a knife into 1/2-inch slices.
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica's Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.