Homemade Alfredo sauce can be the base sauce for so many different recipes. You can use Alfredo for pizza, mac & cheese, lasagna and more. This recipe can be altered with different seasonings or replace the cheese blend with Cheddar for a cheesy cheddar sauce. Use Havarti cheese and mix in dill for the most delicious Havarti Dill cheese sauce.
Published April 17, 2023
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
Once you make this Alfredo Sauce recipe you will not be able to buy any in the jar ever again. This recipe is so creamy and flavorful, while anything in a jar is so chemically and just yuck. Instead of making your own, you can also buy it jarred. Click the link below for Classico Roasted Garlic Alfredo Pasta Sauce (15 oz Jar) on Amazon.
WATER, HEAVY CREAM (FROM MILK), PARMESAN CHEESE (PART-SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES), MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SALT, ENZYME MODIFIED EGG YOLKS, ROASTED GARLIC, SUGAR, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, NATURAL FLAVOR, FLAVORED BUTTER (BUTTER [CREAM, SALT], NATURAL FLAVOR), XANTHAN GUM, PASTEURIZED MILK, LACTIC ACID, BUTTER (CREAM), GUM ARABIC, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CHEESE CULTURES, ENZYMES.
None of the ingredients seem that bad from this jar of Classico Alfredo. However, with an almond allergy, the “Natural Flavor” ingredient can be a scary item, as there are several that actually contain almond. If you have any known allergies, make sure you read ingredients.
Below is a cost breakdown for this homemade from scratch Alfredo Sauce recipe.
4 Tbsp butter $0.48
1/4 cup flour $0.03
2 cups stock $0.16
1 cup milk $0.17
8 oz Mozzarella cheese $1.99
4 oz Parmesan $1.00
4 oz Asiago $1.00
The total cost to make 3 cups homemade Alfredo Sauce is $4.83.
Ingredients for Alfredo Sauce
4 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups stock
1 cup milk
8 oz Mozzarella cheese
4 oz Parmesan
4 oz Asiago
Directions for Alfredo Sauce
1. Using a Cuisinart Food Processor with the shredder blade, shred 8-oz Cheddar Cheese.
2. Melt 4 Tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan on medium heat.
3. Add 1/4 cup flour and whisk into the melted butter, then cook for 1-2 minutes.
4. SLOWLY add the 2 cups Chicken stock and whisk into the flour and butter until smooth.
If you do not have stock on hand, you can use broth base mixed into warm water.
To get the water warm, use a microwave safe measuring cup and warm the water in the microwave for 1-2 mintues.
5. Measure and then add 1 cup Milk to the sauce.
6. To the cream sauce, add cheese by the handful and whisk until smooth.
7. Season your alfredo sauce with salt, pepper or any other seasonings you prefer.
- Large Saucepan
- Cuisinart Food Processor shredding blade
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 cup Stock
- 1 cup Milk
- 8 oz Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 4 oz Parmesan Cheese shredded
- 4 oz Asiago shredded
- Using a Cuisinart Food Processor with the shredder blade, shred 8-oz Cheddar Cheese, 4-oz Parmesan and 4-oz Asiago cheese.
- Melt 4 Tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan on medium heat.
- Add 1/4 cup flour and whisk into the melted butter, then cook for 1-2 minutes.
- SLOWLY add the 2 cup stock and whisk into the flour and butter until smooth.
- Add 1 cup milk and whisk well to combine.
- To the cream sauce, add cheese by the handful and whisk until smooth.
- Season your alfredo sauce with salt, pepper or any other seasonings you prefer.
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica's Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.