Sausage and Tortellini Soup recipe that is creamy and packed with delicious flavors. This dinner idea is done in 30 minutes and is easy to make. With a surprise addition of mustard and Cayenne Pepper, helps to bring the depth of flavor to a delightful surprise.
Published June 30, 2023
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
Cost breakdown for this recipe
For a family of six on one income, having a reasonably priced dinner is important. This soup is well under $15 for a double batch which is quite a reasonable price for dinner.
Below is the price breakdown for this Sausage and Tortellini Soup recipe.
1-pound Mild Italian Sausage $2.99
1 Onion $0.20
3 Garlic Cloves $0.10
3 Tbsp Flour $ 0.01
1 tsp Basil $0.05
1/2 tsp Oregano $0.05
1/4 tsp Pepper $0.01
Dash Cayenne Pepper $0.01
1 cup Heavy Cream $0.73
5 cups Chicken Broth $0.40
8-oz Tortellini $1.99
The total cost to make this soup was $6.54 for 3-Quarts.
For our family, one batch is not quite enough, so a double batch was made.
A double batch of this Sausage and Tortellini Soup was $13.08.
These prices are from Summer 2023.
Mild Italian or Plain Sausage?
When making this recipe, there are many choices for the seasoning in the sausage. Lately Mild Italian Sausage has been the top choice for recipes in my scratch kitchen as it has a small pop of flavor and spice.
Some of the options are Sweet Italian, Mild Italian, Hot, Original and even Beer.
When using Mild Italian Sausage links, it is quite easy to uncase them for recipes instead of using traditional ground sausage. By using a serrated knife, simply slice along the length of the casing and then peel the casing back off of the meat.
When released, the sausage can be cooked and cut into smaller bits with a spatula as it is browned.
Recipe for Sausage and Tortellin Soup
Ingredients for Sausage and Tortellini Soup
1-pound Mild Italian Sausage
1 Onion, diced
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
3 Tbsp Flour
1 tsp Basil
1/2 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Hot Sauce, optional
1/2 tsp Mustard Powder or mustard
1/4 tsp Pepper
Pinch Red Pepper Flakes, optional
Dash Cayenne Pepper, optional
1 cup Heavy Cream
5 cups Chicken Broth, or vegetable
2 cups Tortellini
Directions for Sausage and Tortellini Soup
1. Place a 6-Quart pot on the stove, or a deep Dutch Oven, add 1 Tablespoon Oil and heat to Medium.
2. If using sausage with casing, cut the casing open and place the sausage in the hot pan, then brown.
To cut open the casings, use a serrated knife and slice the length of the link, then peel back the casing away from the sausage.
3. On a cutting board, dice the Onion and then add it to the browning sausage and cook.
4. Use a garlic peeler to peel and then mince the 3 Garlic Cloves, add them to the pot, cooking for 1 minute.
5. Measure and then add the 3 Tablespoons Flour, mixing well into the sausage and cook for 1-2 minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste.
The flour will act as a thickening for the soup and will then create a cream-style soup.
6. To the cooked sausage, add 1 tsp Basil, 1/2 tsp Oregano, 1 tsp Hot Sauce, 1/2 tsp Mustard Powder, 1/4 tsp Black Pepper and a pinch of Red Pepper Flakes.
If mustard powder is not available, yellow mustard will be quite reasonable to use as a replacement.
Red Pepper Flakes were missing form our pantry, so a dash of Cayenne Pepper was used instead.
7. Stir to combine.
8. Add the 5 cups Chicken Broth and stir to combine.
It has been many years since a container of stock has been purchased. In its replacement, broth soup base has been used for stock in this recipe.
To use Soup Base, simply warm up 1 cup of water in a microwavable measuring cup and add 2 tsp base for every 1 cup, whisk well and let sit for 1-3 minutes before adding it to a soup as a simple stock.
9. Slowly add 1 cup Heavy Cream.
10. Bring the soup to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
Because of the Heavy Cream, the soup will froth and boil, so keep a watch as it can quickly come to a boil.
12. Read the Tortellini directions and then add the pasta to the pot, cooking for 5-7 minutes.
13. Add Salt to taste, then serve and enjoy!
Sausage and Tortellini soup has a deliciously creamy flavor and pops of spice from the Mild Italian Sausage and Cayenne Pepper.
Sausage and Tortellini Soup
- 6-Quart Pot
- Cutting board
- Sink Colander
- 1 pound Mild Italian Sausage
- 1 Onion diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Hot Sauce optional
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Powder or mustard
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes optional
- Dash Cayenne Pepper optional
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 5 cups Broth chicken or vegetable
- 2 cups Tortellini
- Place a 6-Quart pot on the stove, or a deep Dutch Oven, and heat to Medium.
- If using sausage with casing, cut the casing open and place the sausage in the hot pan, then brown.
- On a cutting board, dice the Onion and then add it to the browning sausage and cook.
- Mince the 3 Garlic Cloves and then add them to the pot, cooking for 1 minute.
- Measure and then add the 3 Tablespoons Flour, mixing well into the sausage and cook for 1-2 minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste.
- To the cooked sausage, add 1 tsp Basil, 1/2 tsp Oregano, 1 tsp Hot Sauce, 1/2 tsp Mustard Powder, 1/4 tsp Black Pepper and a pinch of Red Pepper Flakes.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the 5 cups Chicken Broth and stir to combine.
- Slowly add 1 cup Heavy Cream.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Read the Tortellini directions and then add the pasta to the pot, cooking for 5-7 minutes.
- In a sink colander, rinse the Kale and then make sure all of the hard stems are removed. Roughly chop the kale and then add it to the soup with 5 minutes left.
- Add Salt to taste, then serve and enjoy!
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica's Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.