Meatball Subs are such a fun dinner idea that everyone loves! With a simple and delicious from scratch meatball recipe, paired with toasting the buns, this recipe is simply amazing. Topped with melted mozzarella cheese and a side of mac & cheese, this Meatball Subs dinner is a go-to recipe.
Published June 16, 2023
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
Tips for the perfect sub
This recipe makes 30 1-inch meatballs, which can be perfectly fitted into 6 meatball subs. Topped with sliced mozzarella cheese and toasted slightly, this dinner idea is delicious and simple to make.
Feel free to alter the recipe to suit your needs. If you want, you can substitute Mild Italian Sausage for a spicier meatball or swap out the mozzarella cheese for any variety you desire.
I would, however, recommend a Sub Roll or Deli Roll, instead of a hot dog bun, as the Deli/Sub roll will be sturdier and heartier for the meatballs. Additionally, this Meatball Subs recipe was paired with homemade Havarti Mac & Cheese and mixed vegetables on the side.
Recipe for Meatball Subs
Ingredients for Meatball Subs
1 pound Ground Beef
1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Basil
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
2 cup Marinara
1 1/2 cup Mozzarella
Directions for Meatball Subs
1. In a large bowl, combine the Ground Beef, Pork, 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs, 2 Tbsp Parmesan, 1 Egg, 1 tsp Oregano, 1/2 tsp Basil, 1/2 tsp Onion and Garlic Powders, 1/4 tsp Salt and 1/4 tsp Pepper.
Instead of breadcrumbs, using Saltine crackers works just as well! Make sure to smash them between your hands really well before adding them to the bowl with the ingredients.
Once all of the ingredients are added, use your hands to mix the ingredients as you will be rolling them with your hands into meatballs. Just don’t overmix!
2. Roll the mixture into 1-inch meatballs and place on a plate or bake dish.
This recipe doubled made 60 meatballs, which made 12 Meatball Subs.
3. Place a large saucepan over medium heat and add 1 Tablespoon oil.
Warm the oil and then tilt the pan making sure the oil coats the entire surface of the saucepan.
4. Add the meatballs to the warm skillet and brown them on all sides, using a spatula to carefully flip them.
If you are making a large batch, make sure to brown the meatballs in smaller batches to not overwhelm the saucepan.
This recipe is doubled, so the meatballs were cooked in two separate batches.
5. Drain the grease from the pan, then replace all of the meatballs to the saucepan.
6. To the meatballs in the skillet, add the Marinara and simmer on LOW for 15-20 minutes.
If desired, add 1/4 cup of water to the empty jar and close the lid, then shake the jar and empty the contents into the saucepan.
This not only will help to clean out the jar, but also get all of the sauce into the pan.
7. While the meatballs are simmering, preheat the oven to BROIL.
8. On a cutting board, butter the insides of the rolls and place them on a rimmed baking sheet laying open.
9. Place the baking sheet with the buttered rolls in the oven and toast the buns slightly, around 2-5 minutes.
Don’t take your eyes off the rolls as they toast! This process can go QUICK!
10. Place slices of mozzarella cheese on the toasted rolls and then add 5 meatballs to each roll.
11. Top the meatballs with more sliced mozzarella cheese.
12. Broil the filled Meatball Subs until the cheese is just melted, around 1-2 minutes.
Make sure to not take your eyes off the Meatball Subs, as the buns were already toasted, this is to just melt the cheese.
13. Serve and enjoy!
This night for dinner, we also had Havarti Dill Mac & Cheese. Stay tuned for that recipe!
If you don’t want to wait, click the link below for my recipe for Homemade Mac & Cheese.
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Large Saucepan
- Cutting board
- Large Bowl
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Basil
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 2 cup Marinara
- 1 1/2 cup Mozzarella
- Sub Rolls
- In a large bowl, combine the Ground Beef, Pork, 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs, 2 Tbsp Parmesan, 1 Egg, 1 tsp Oregano, 1/2 tsp Basil, 1/2 tsp Onion and Garlic Powders, 1/4 tsp Salt and 1/4 tsp Pepper.
- Roll the mixture into 1-inch meatballs and place on a plate.
- Place a large skillet over medium meat and add 1 Tablespoon oil.
- Add the meatballs to the warm skillet and brown them on all sides.
- Drain the grease from the pan.
- To the meatballs in the skillet, add the Marinara and simmer on LOW for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to BROIL.
- On a cutting board, butter the insides of the rolls and place them on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet with the buttered rolls in the oven and toast the buns slightly, around 2-5 minutes.
- Place cheese on the toasted rolls and then add 5 meatballs to each roll.
- Top with more cheese.
- Broil the filled Meatball Subs until the cheese is just melted.
- Serve and enjoy!
One response to “Meatball Subs Dinner Recipe”
[…] Meatball Subs […]Loading…
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica's Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.