This post is all about how to make 5 Ingredient Star Crunch Cookies that are easy and no-bake.
Published June 12, 2023
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
Star Crunch Cookies, made from scratch, are a fantastic blend of crunch and sweet. This is a copycat Little Debbie Star Crunch recipe with only 5 ingredients.
Cost to make this recipe
As far as recipes go, this is a very low-cost recipe. With only five ingredients, this recipe for Star Crunch Cookies is easy to make with typical pantry staples.
5 cup Crispy Rice Cereal $0.50
1 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips $1.00
1 cup Peanut Butter $0.75
1/4 cup Coconut Oil $0.75
1/2 cup Maple Syrup $0.30
The total cost to make 12 large Star Crunch Cookies is $6.00.
Each Star Crunch Cookie then costs $0.50.
If bought from the store, a big box of these cookies will cost $6.29, making each cookie cost $0.52.
On Amazon, a 3-pack costs $24.39, making each cookie cost $0.67.
This price is from spring 2023.
This recipe is not cheaper than buying the name branded variety, however, if you like to make snacks that are healthier and do not include 50 ingredients, then this is a delicious and easy copycat recipe.
Below is the list of ingredients and Nutrition Facts for the Little Debbie Star Crunch.
The list is long, and the Allergy Warning has me worried, as it may contain Tree Nuts.
Personally, with an almond allergy, needing to avoid Tree Nuts is important, so finding a recipe that I can make and enjoy is very exciting.
How to preserve Star Crunch Cookies
Making food without preservatives is healthy and can be rewarding. However, making foods and snacks from scratch does have its drawbacks. The most important thing with any recipe from scratch is how to keep it fresh.
With these Star Crunch Cookies, because they are refrigerated, they can then be refrigerated to keep fresh for longer. Which, when done, actually help to keep their shape and flavors intact.
While doing this recipe, an experiment was done with half the cookies staying in a container on the counter and half bagged in the fridge. The half that were room temperature were much too melty to be enjoyable. The half that were refrigerated were so much crunchier and less melty.
I would recommend keeping these Star Crunch Cookies on pieces of parchment paper, in a container or a large Ziplock bag and stored in the fridge. Then, as desired, you can head to the fridge for a yummy made from scratch snack!
Looking for more cookie recipes? Check out my DESSERT page by clicking the link below to find more!
You may also like…
There are SO many more recipes to have if you love cookies. These Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal cookies are incredibly delicious, soft and SO easy to make. Tripple Chocolate Chip Cookies are easy to make, and you get so many with this recipe to enjoy for days.
Why use Coconut Oil?
In this recipe for Star Crunch Cookies, I used Coconut Oil instead of butter or vegetable oil.
There are many benefits to using coconut oil in recipes.
According to Healthline, there are 10 Evidence-Based Health Benefits to using Coconut Oil.
- May encourage fat burning.
Coconut oil is a rich source of MCT’s – medium-chain triglycerides.
Scientists are studying triglycerides, which include long, medium, and short chain, and found that medium chain help to increase the number of calories your body can burn. This can lead to weight loss.
Coconut oil is 65% MCT, so the health benefits are great, when consumed in a wise manner as it is a naturally high-calorie food.
- May work as a quick source of energy.
MCT’s travel straight to your liver, giving a burst of energy.
- May have antimicrobial effects.
- May help to reduce hunger.
A portion of MCT’s are broken down into molecules called ketones, which help to reduce appetite.
This is popular as of late, as the KETO diet relies heavily on fats, so the body breaks down the proteins into ketones for energy.
- May help reduce seizures.
Studies show that those with epilepsy can reduce their seizures by following a KETO diet.
- May boost skin health.
Coconut oil can help improve overall skin health by aiding in retaining the moisture when applied at night. A few drops of virgin coconut oil, applied to the hands, helps reduce dry skin from alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- May protect your hair.
Coconut oil deeply penetrates hair follicles and helps to reduce breakage and makes strands more flexible.
- May improve oral health.
Due to the lauric acid properties in coconut oil, having anti-microbial effects, swishing coconut oil in the mouth to replace mouthwash can help more than traditional mouthwash.
- May help reduce symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease.
Alzheimer’s is a condition of dementia, which lowers your brain’s ability to use glucose for energy. Ketones are used for energy in the brain and have been recently used in Alzheimer’s research.
- A good antioxidant source.
Some of the antioxidants in coconut oil are tocopherols, tocotrienols, phytosterols, flavonoids and polyphenols.
For more information about coconut oil, click Healthline to read more about the differences between refined and unrefined coconut oil, their uses and benefits.
Recipe for Homemade Star Crunch Cookies
Star Crunch Cookies Ingredients
5 cup Crispy Rice Cereal
1 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
1 cup Peanut Butter
1/4 cup Coconut Oil
1/2 cup Maple Syrup
Directions for Star Crunch Cookies
1. Measure and add 5 cups Crispy Rice Cereal to a large bowl.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, measure and then add the 1 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips, 1 cup Peanut Butter, 1/4 cup Coconut Oil, and 1/2 cup Maple Syrup.
3. Microwave the ingredients in 30-second increments until the mixture is melted.
If desired, place a splatter shield on top to avoid any unnecessary cleaning of the microwave.
4. With a spatula, stir the ingredients until combined.
5. Pour the mixture over the rice cereal in the large bowl.
6. With a large spatula, mix well to incorporate the wet ingredients to the cereal.
7. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
Any rimmed baking sheet will do.
8. Use a large ice cream scoop and measure out 1 scoop of the rice mixture.
9. Transfer the mixture to the parchment and form into a round ball.
10. Smash down the ingredients with a flat measuring cup and form into a circle.
11. Refrigerate the Star Crunch Cookies for 1 hour.
Doing so will help them form together.
12. Remove from the fridge, serve and enjoy!
Follow me on Pinterest
This post was all about how to make no-bake Star Crunch Cookies.
Star Crunch Cookies Recipe
- Wax Paper
- Large Pot
- Microwave Safe Bowl
- Ice Cream Scoop
- 5 cup Crispy Rice Cereal
- 1 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- Measure and add 5 cups Crispy Rice Cereal to a large bowl.
- In a microwave safe bowl, measure and then add the 1 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips, 1 cup Peanut Butter, 1/4 cup Coconut Oil, and 1/2 cup Maple Syrup.
- Microwave the ingredients in 30-second increments until the mixture is melted.
- With a spatula, stir the ingredients until combined.
- Pour the mixture over the rice cereal in the large bowl.
- With a large spatula, mix well to incorporate the wet ingredients to the cereal.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Use a large ice cream scoop and measure out 1 scoop of the rice mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to the parchment and form into a round ball.
- Smash down the ingredients with a flat measuring cup.
- Refrigerate the Star Crunch Cookies for 1 hour.
- Remove from the fridge, serve and enjoy!
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica's Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.