Savory meatloaf with sauteed onions, topped with a delicious sun-dried tomato and roasted red pepper sauce. This is a flavor-packed recipe that is great with just about anything. For dinner, we paired this Meatloaf with Herbdacious with baked sweet potatoes served with cinnamon butter.
Disclosure March 24, 2023
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
What makes this Meatloaf with Herbdacious recipe work?
For my birthday this year, my husband and kids bought me this cookbook, This Will Make It Taste Good, from Vivian Howard. She is well-known for her award winning tv series, A Chef’s Life. Click the link below to buy your own copy of this amazing cookbook.
Find Vivian on A Chef’s Life | Shows | PBS Food by clicking the link!
This Meatloaf recipe with Herbdacious is so tasty. The blend of the fresh herbs with the sun-dried tomato and kalamata olives comes together so well. The end result is a flavor packed Meatloaf with bold flavors and freshness from the herbs. With the roasted garlic and sauteed onions, they both bring a complexity to the finish dinner.
A New Recipe for Meatloaf with Herbdacious
Ingredients for Meatloaf with Herbdacious
1 Tablespoon oil
2 large yellow onions, diced
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup (7.5-oz jar) sun-dried tomatoes, with oil
1 1/2 cups (12-oz jar) roasted red peppers, drained
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt OR sour cream
2 Tablespoons Honey
2/3 cup Herbdacious
1 cup pitted and chopped kalamata olives
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup breadcrumbs OR crushed saltine crackers
Directions for Meatloaf with Herbdacious
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Warm a 10-inch skillet on medium heat. I chose to use a cast iron skillet to sauté the onions for this recipe.
To the skillet, add the oil and heat until just smoking.
While the oil and skillet hert, dice the 2 onions on a cutting board.
Add the onions to the hot skillet and then sauté the onions for 10 minutes until translucent and soft.
Season the onions with 1 tsp salt and pepper, stir to mix, and then turn off the heat to let the onions cool until needed.
Add parchment paper or foil to a 9 X 13-inch baking pan.
Drain the roasted red peppers in a strainer before blending in a blender.
Blend the Topping
Combine the sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, honey vinegar, and 1/2 tsp salt in a blender.
Blend the ingredients until completely smooth. You can also use a Cuisinart Food Processor with the blade attachment to blend these ingredients.
On a cutting board, roughly chop the pitted kalamata olives.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, Greek Yogurt OR sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, Herbdacious, kalamata olives, and cooled onions.
Add the ground beef to the bowl with the Herbdacious and other ingredients.
Measure and crush the saltine crackers, adding them to the bowl.
Gently mix the ingredients in the bowl, not too much to overwork the ingredients, but enough to spread out the ingredients.
Spray the baking pan with the parchment paper with non-stick spray.
Dump the meat mixture on the parchment paper in the baking dish.
Shape the meat into a rectangle block, around 3 X 3 X 12-inches.
Top the Meatloaf
Spread the tomato mixture over the top of the meatloaf, taking care to spread it over all the sides.
It does seem like the sauce is a lot, but trust me, it’s worth it!
Bake the Meatloaf with Herbdacious in the oven, on the middle rack, for 1 hour, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
For dinner tonight, we had baked sweet potatoes with steamed Brussel Sprouts. I got the idea to make baked sweet potatoes from a restaurant our family was at in Tennessee for a recent vacation.
If desired, turn the oven to broil and let the tomato sauce become slightly browned before removing the pan from the oven. This can take between 1-2 minutes. Finally, remove the Meatloaf from the oven and let it rest for 3-5 minutes before serving.
This recipe, Meatloaf with Herbdacious, was one of the most complex flavors I’ve ever tasted. Our kids absolutely LOVED it and they all requested to have it be part of a monthly rotation.
Between the complexity of the Herbdacious, mixed in with the Meatloaf with perfectly sauteed onions and salty kalamata olives, come together to make this a stunningly delicious dinner.
Keep a look out for the recipe for the BEST Baked Sweet Potatoes with Homemade From Scratch Cinnamon Butter that is the BEST Texas Roadhouse copycat!
Meatloaf with Herbdacious Recipe
A New Recipe for Meatloaf with Herbdacious
- 1 Blender
- Baking Pan 9 X 13-inch
- Parchment Paper
- 1 Bowl Large
- 1 Tbsp Oil extra virgin
- 2 Onions Diced
- 2 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Sun-dried tomatoes (7.5-ounce jar) with oil
- 1 1/2 cups Roasted Red Peppers drained
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt OR Sour Cream
- 2/3 cup Herbdacious
- 1 cup Kalamata Olives pitted, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 1/2 pounds Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs OR Crushed Saltine Crackers
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Warm a 10-inch skillet on medium heat.
- Dice the 2 onions.
- Sauté the onions for 10 minutes until translucent and soft.
- Season the onions with 1 tsp salt and pepper.
- Add parchment paper to a 9 X 13-inch baking pan.
- Combine the sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, honey vinegar, and 1/2 tsp salt in a blender.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth.
- On a cutting board, roughly chop the kalamata olives.
- Measure and then crush the saltine crackers, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, Greek Yogurt, Herbdacious, kalamata olives, beef, crushed saltine crackers, and remaining 1 tsp salt.
- Gently mix the ingredients in the bowl, not too much to overwork the ingredients.
- Spray the baking pan with the parchment paper with non-stick spray.
- Dump the meat mixture on the parchment paper in the baking dish.
- Shape the meat into a rectangle block, around 3 X 3 X 12-inches.
- Spread the tomato mixture over the top of the meatloaf, taking care to spread it over all the sides.
- Bake the Meatloaf with Herbdacious in the oven, on the middle rack, for 1 hour, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the Meatloaf from the oven and let it rest for 3-5 minutes before serving.
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica's Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.