With a gallon bag of blueberries in our freezer, and school starting, our kids wanted a delicious snack to be able to bring to school. A few years ago, I made a recipe with jam-filled granola bars. These Blueberry Oatmeal Bars are crazy-delicious and packed with flavor.
However, without pre-made jam, I wanted to try and make this recipe using the frozen blueberries we had on hand. As a result, these Blueberry Oatmeal Bars are crunchy and chewy with a fantastic burst of blueberry flavor.
Published September 13, 2022
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
Inspiration from ATK
This recipe came as an inspiration while watching a recipe on the television show America’s Test Kitchen. This episode showcased oatmeal bars that were filled with fudge.
Oatmeal Fudge Bars are for sure on my ‘Will Bake Soon’ list! Click the link below for the recipe from America’s Test Kitchen for Oatmeal Fudge Bars.
Recipe for Blueberry Oatmeal Bars
2 cups fresh/frozen blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn starch
2 cups oats
1 3/4 cup butter
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, then take a sheet of parchment paper and place it into a 9X13 baking dish and set aside.
By crinkling up the parchment paper before using it in the baking dish, it rests easier and nicer in the baking dish.
Mix the Dry Ingredients
2. Put 2 cups flour and 2 cups Old Fashioned oats in a medium bowl and then stir well with a spatula.
3. To the flour mixture, add 1 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt, then mix well to combine.
4. Use a box shredder to shred the butter into the flour mixture, then mix well with a spatula. Typically, cutting butter into a recipe requires you to use butter knives to mix the butter into the dry ingredients.
Here is a pro-tip for you from me, use a box shredder to shred the butter sticks into the dry mixture, then blend well with a spatula.
Prep the Frozen Blueberries
5. Place the blueberries into a medium bowl and then add 1/2 cup sugar and mix well with a spatula, then add 1/2 cup corn starch and stir well.
The corn starch helps make the blueberry juices nice and thick instead of runny.
Time to Assemble
6. Pour half of the dry mixture into the prepared baking dish and then press down.
7. Dump the blueberries mixture onto the oatmeal mixture and then spread it out with a spatula.
8. On the top of the blueberries, add the rest of the dry mixture and then spread it out evenly with a spatula making sure to gently press it down.
9. Place the baking dish into the oven and bake for 60 minutes, or until the top is browned nicely.
10. Remove the Blueberry and Oatmeal Bars from the oven and rest to cool before cutting into slices.
When the Blueberry Oatmeal Bars are cooled, lift the bars out of the baking dish by holding onto the parchment paper.
Finally, slice, serve and enjoy!
Blueberry Oatmeal Bars Recipe
How to make Blueberry Oatmeal Bars using Frozen Fruit
- 9 X 13-inch Baking Dish
- Parchment Paper
- Large Bowl
- 2 cups Fresh OR Frozen Blueberries
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Corn Starch
- 2 cupss Old Fashioned Oats
- 3/4 cup Butter
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take a sheet of parchment paper and place it into a 9 X 13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Put 2 cups Flour and 2 cups Old Fashioned Oats in a medium bowl and then stir well.
- To the flour mixture, add 1 cup Brown Sugar, 1 tsp Baking Powder and 1/4 tsp Salt, then mix well to combine.
- Use a box shredder to shred the butter into the flour mixture, then mix well with a spatula. It should resemble dry crumbles.
- Place the 2 cups Blueberries into a medium bowl and then add 1/2 cup sugar and mix well with a spatula, then add 1/2 cup corn starch and stir well.
- Pour half of the dry mixture into the prepared baking dish and then press down.
- Pour out the blueberries on top of the pressed-down flour mixture, then spread it out evenly.
- On the top of the 2 cups Blueberries, add the rest of the dry mixture and spread it out evenly, then gently press it down with a spatula.
Bake the Bars
- Place the baking dish into the oven and bake for 60 minutes, or until the top is browned nicely.
- Remove the Blueberry and Oatmeal Bars from the oven and rest to cool 10 minutes before cutting into slices.
- Finally, slice, serve and enjoy!
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica’s Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.