We love bread and eat it daily. This recipe is for a super quick dinner roll recipe that can be made in under an hour. Instead of always buying packaged rolls, try this recipe for homemade from scratch 30 Minute Dinner Rolls.
Published July 8, 2022
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
Another variety of dinner rolls
For a sweeter option, try this recipe for Sweet Pineapple Dinner Rolls which is my take on those amazing Hawiian Sweet Rolls. By using pineapple juice instead of water, you can make a sweeter roll that tastes delicious for a fraction of the price.
Cost for this recipe
Math is not my forte; however, budgeting is the best way to save our family money each week. We budget and then make certain foods from scratch to help save our family money. Below is a cost breakdown for the ingredients included to make these 30 Minute Dinner Rolls from scratch.
2 Tbsp yeast $0.18
1 tsp salt $0.01
3 1/2 cup flour $0.53
1/4 tsp sugar $0.01
1/3 cup oil $0.15
1 egg $0.17
The total cost for this recipe is $1.05, making each roll cost $0.07.
If you were to buy the biscuits in the deli section, the pack of eight would cost $1.65 at ALDI or premade pack of twelve for $2.55.
However, a twelve pack at a local grocery store would cost $5.29 for the name brand King’s Hawiian rolls, or $3.89 for a 6-pack.
Making your own, even though it does take time, can save you $2-$5 respectively, and when on a budget, this helps cut costs.
To bring in some fun math, let’s say you buy a pack of rolls once a week. This would cost $132.60 from ALDI. In comparison with $275.08 for a name-brand variety.
However, if you make your own weekly, the cost would be $54.60 for a weekly supply for a year saving you $220 yearly on a weekly supply of dinner rolls.
30 Minute Dinner Rolls Recipe
1 1/4 cup warm water
2 Tbsp yeast
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp sugar
1/3 cup oil
Directions for 30 Minute Dinner Rolls
1. Firstly, in the bowl of a KitchenAid mixer, dissolve yeast in warm water with 1/4 tsp sugar, stirring well to combine. With this recipe, there is no need to let the yeast rest in the water as it will rest once all of the rolls are formed.
2. Secondly, add oil, salt, egg and flour and mix well to combine. For this recipe, I used my KitchenAid mixer as it helps to create a smoother and softer roll than mixing by hand. Feel free to mix your dough by hand or with a wooden spoon in a large bowl.
3. Add extra flour to the mixture if it is still sticky to the touch once combined, making sure to only add 1-2 Tbsp at a time until the consistency is perfect.
4. Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with non-stick spray and then set aside.
5. Divide the dough into fifteen equal parts and shape into a ball, then, once shaped, place in the prepared baking pan. To shape the dough balls, either place the dough ball onto a clean countertop, then gently roll the ball around in the palm of your hand against the counter.
Another option is to hold the dough ball and pull the edges into the center and rotate 45-degrees and continue forming the dough until a ball is formed.
When done, pinch the seam at the bottom so the dough balls cook and do not open up, then place the seam-side down in the pan.
6. Cover the baking pan with the fifteen shaped rolls with plastic wrap, then let it rest on the counter for 20-minutes. This step helps not only for the dough to rise, but also for the yeast to develop. The rolls can double in size at this point and will further expand during baking.
7. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit while the rolls are resting.
8. Once the oven is warm and the rolls have rested, remove the plastic wrap and place the baking dish into the oven and bake for 25 minutes, the rolls will grow while baking.
9. Remove the baked rolls once browned and spread butter on the tops of the rolls, then serve and enjoy!
Recipe for 30 Minute Dinner Rolls
30 Minute Dinner Rolls
- 9 X 13-inch Baking Dish
- Non-stick spray
- Medium Bowl
- 1 1/4 cup Warm Water
- 2 Tbsp Yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 1/3 cup Oil
- 1 Egg
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water with 1/4 tsp sugar, stirring well to combine.
- Add oil, salt, egg and flour and mix well to combine.
- Add extra flour to the mixture if it is still sticky to the touch once combined.
- Spray a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray and then set aside.
- Divide the dough into fifteen equal parts and shape into a ball, then, once shaped, place in the prepared baking pan.
- Cover the baking pan with the fifteen shaped rolls with plastic wrap, then let it rest on the counter for 20-minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit while the rolls are resting.
- Once the oven is warm and the rolls have rested, remove the plastic wrap and place the baking dish into the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the baked rolls once browned and spread butter on the tops of the rolls, then serve and enjoy!
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica's Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.