This year, for Elliana’s 4th birthday, we made Vanilla cupcakes and Espresso Cupcakes. To top the homemade cupcakes, just any store-bought can would not do. Elliana and I busted out the mixer, Homemade Vanilla Extract, and made the most Perfect Vanilla Frosting and topped them with rainbow sprinkles.
Published February 24, 2023
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
Making homemade is so much tastier than buying canned frosting.
Have you ever tried to make your own, and then tasted canned frosting? It is sure hard to go back when you make it from scratch.
1 cup unsalted butter, softened $2.00
3 1/2-4 cups powdered sugar $1.99
1 tsp Homemade Vanilla Extract $0.28
1-2 tablespoons heavy cream $0.08
This recipe for the Perfect Vanilla Frosting cost $4.35.
All of these prices were from February 2023.
As much as I love making this Perfect Vanilla Frosting from scratch, it does come with a cost. Additionally, this frosting recipe frosted 36 cupcakes with leftovers that we nibbled on with graham crackers.
A jar of frosting at ALDI costs $1.55. Yes, buying frosting is less expensive, however, making your own frosting tastes SO much better and way less chemically.
On Amazon, you can get 8-16oz jars for $15.36 or $1.92 each.
Happy birthday dear Elliana. She super loved her Vanilla Cupcake with the Perfect Vanilla Frosting.
Ingredients for Perfect Vanilla Frosting
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 1/2-4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp Homemade Vanilla Extract
1-2 tablespoons heavy cream
Directions for Perfect Vanilla Frosting
1. Let the butter rest on the countertop until completely softened and no longer chilled.
Trust me, let the butter become completely soft before you start to use it to make the frosting.
2. In a medium bowl, add the softened butter and then cream it until soft using a hand-held mixer.
Additionally, you can use a KitchenAid mixer with the whisk attachment.
3. To the butter, add Homemade Vanilla extract and heavy cream and then mix well until blended with a hand-held mixer.
Homemade Vanilla Extract truly is simple to make, with only two ingredients. Check out how to make it by clicking the link below.
4. Slowly add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until it is fully incorporated, around 2-3 minutes.
5. Finally, frost the cupcakes immediately or let the Perfect Vanilla Frosting rest until needed on the countertop.
Elliana wanted sprinkles, so we added sprinkles right after each cupcake was frosted.
Elliana and I made Vanilla cupcakes and Espresso Cupcakes for her 4th birthday. Click the link below for my recipe for homemade Vanilla Cupcakes and stay tuned for the recipe for the Espresso Cupcakes!
Perfect Vanilla Frosting Recipe
Perfect Vanilla Frosting
- Large Bowl
- Measuring spoons
- 1 cup Butter unsalted, softened
- 3 1/2-4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- Let the butter rest on the countertop until completely softened and no longer chilled.
- In the bowl of a KitchenAid mixer or a medium bowl, add the softened butter and cream it until soft.
- To the butter, add Homemade Vanilla extract and heavy cream until blended well.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until it is fully incorporated, around 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, frost the cupcakes immediately or let the Perfect Vanilla Frosting rest until needed on the countertop.
Just remove it from the fridge and let it rest to room temperature before use.
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica's Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.