This post is all about how to make and then use Scent Crystals to Freshen Laundry Soap.
Published August 26, 2022
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
I have been making liquid laundry detergent since around 2016, possibly earlier. With six people and around 427 loads of laundry to do weekly, there had to be a less expensive way to do the laundry. After hours of research, testing out many recipes, this recipe for liquid laundry soap has been a winner for years. Now, after months of trials, I have finally found out the perfect way to add a little booster to the laundry soap. Bring in the scent crystals to help Freshen Laundry Soap.
If you do not wish to add scent crystals, click the link below for my blog post with the recipe for Liquid Laundry Soap made from Scratch.
Living in a house with six people, needing a large volume of laundry detergent is one large necessity.
On a weekly basis, we do at least seven loads of laundry. Between towels, work clothes, 4 kids’ clothes, and our clothes, it makes for a long week of folding. On a busy week, we add bedding and extra towels.
Lately, using Downy Unstopables Laundry Scent Booster Beads while making homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent is the only way to break through the teenage stink. In addition to reducing smells, adding Scent Crystals helps to keep the fresh scent for up to 12 weeks.
Freshen Laundry Soap Recipe
1 cup each of Borax Detergent Booster
5-ounce Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar
1 cup Arm & Hammer Laundry Booster Super Washing Soda
1 cup Downy Unstopables Laundry Scent Booster Beads
Freshen Laundry Soap Directions
1. Using a box shredder, shred the bar of Fels-Naptha with a box grater into a 6-Quart large pot on the stove.
4. Fill up half of a 5-gallon bucket with hot water. Make sure you choose a 5-gallon bucket that has a good lid that seals tightly.
6. Carefully pour the Fels-Naptha water mixture into the 5-gallon bucket, then whisk well.
Follow me on Pinterest
7. Fill the pot that held the water mixture and make sure to get all of the soap rinsed off the rim with hot water, then pour it into the 5-gallon bucket and whisk well. Doing this helps to not waste any of the soap mixture.
8. Fill the rest of the 5-gallon bucket with hot water, within 1-inch of the rim, then cover the bucket tightly and let it rest for 24-hours.
While it rests, the laundry detergent will partially solidify into a gel-like substance.
9. After a day of sitting, use an Emersion Blender to mix the laundry detergent completely as it will be lumpy and not smooth.
I LOVE my KitchenAid Emersion Blender and use it with soup, recipes and even blending laundry detergent. Tyler and our kids gifted me this blender for a birthday many years ago.
This Laundry Detergent will also need to be mixed well before each use, as it does tend to settle.
10. Use a large cup or measuring bowl to scoop and pour the laundry detergent into a small bottle. I recommend saving a previously used bottle, washing it and using it for a homemade laundry detergent bottle to refill. I have not bought a bottle of laundry detergent since 2016 or so.
11. Each load typically uses 1/3 cup of homemade Liquid Laundry Soap. As the measuring cup was used to fill the bottle, it was then used to add detergent into the washer.
Pro-tip: always rinse the cup in the running water to utilize all of it for the load, then the cup stays clean as well.
12. Cover the 5-gallon bucket and then set aside for a later time.
Make sure to use the Emersion Blender to mix the Laundry Detergent before each use and before filing up the reusable bottle.
You may also like…
This post was all about how to make and then Freshen Laundry Soap with Scent Crystals.
Freshen Laundry Soap with Scent Crystals
- Large Pot
- Box Shredder
- 5-gallon Bucket
- 1 cup Borax Detergent Booster
- 1 cup Arm & Hammer Laundry Booster Super Washing Soda
- 5 oz Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar
- 1 cup Downy Unstopables Laundry Scent Crystals
- 5 gallons Water
- Shred the bar of Fels-Naptha with a box grater into a large pot on the stove.
- Add 4 cups of water to the Fels-Naptha in the pot and set the temperature to Medium.
- Whisk the solution for 10-minutes or until the Fels-Naptha soap is fully dissolved in the water.
- Fill up half of a 5-gallon bucket with hot water.
- Add 1 cup each of Borax Laundry Detergent Booster and Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda, then whisk well into the bucket.
- Carefully pour the Fels-Naptha water mixture into the 5-gallon bucket, then whisk well.
- Fill the pot that held the water mixture and make sure to get all of the soap, then pour it into the 5-gallon bucket and whisk well.
- Fill the rest of the 5-gallon bucket with hot water, within 1-inch of the rim, then cover the bucket and let it rest for 24-hours.
- After a 24-hours, use an emersion blender to mix the laundry detergent completely as it will be lumpy and not smooth.
- Use a large cup or measuring bowl to scoop and pour the laundry detergent into a small bottle.
- Cover the 5-gallon bucket and then set aside for a different time.
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica’s Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.