Since I originally published this post back in 2016, I have made this Cheesy Broccoli Soup many times. Just the other week I made it and had a complete fail. When I added the cheese, it clumped up and then never fully blended into the soup.
This recipe recommends using fresh cheddar and I always shred it myself with a box grater. This time, the cheese did not melt into the soup. I have no idea why, and till this day it will bother me. Read on and enjoy this delicious soup recipe but do try to make it without my failure added.
Published on January 15, 2016
Updated on February 25, 2022
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
What went wrong?
After doing a bit of research, if a few Tablespoons of water was added and whisked in well, then the cheese could have blended into the soup. Maybe my temperature was too high? Was there too much cheese? If you have this problem, check out this amazing article about How to Keep Cheese from Clumping in Soup In this article, Healthyeating.com shares their tips on how to avoid cheese clumping in soup. Additionally, this website was a wealth of information!
*Healthyeating.com is not a sponsor of this post*
Have you ever had a failure with a recipe you have cooked or baked a dozen times before? It can feel deflating and sad. Trust me that I have had many failures; this soup included. Even though it did not blend well and had clumps of cheese, it still tasted amazing. Our four kids still ate many bowls and they really enjoyed dinner. For example, there were even fights over who got the biggest cheese chunk in their bowl.
Cheesy Broccoli Soup Recipe
1/2 cup butter (1/2 stick)
2 cups water
1/2 cup flour
2 cups heavy cream
4 cups chicken stock
16-ounce broccoli (can add more, and chopping the big pieces is necessary to not have giant broccoli chunks in the soup)
Salt and pepper to taste
8-ounce shredded cheddar cheese
4-5 carrots shredded
I completely spaced taking pictures last night, forgive me!? However, I will try to add a few images that do represent each of these steps listed.
Cheesy Broccoli Soup Directions
1. Place butter and flour in the hot pan and then mix until the butter is melted. Make sure to allow the flour to cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Dice an onion on a cutting board, then set aside. Wash, peel and dice a carrot and then set aside. Add diced onion and shredded carrots to the pot and then cook until tender, around 3-5 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl mix heavy cream and water.
When all of the butter is melted and mixed well with the flour, then slowly add cream or water mixture into the cooking carrots and onion.
4. Bring to a slow boil and allow it to thicken a bit before adding the stock.
5. Add 4 cups chicken broth or water and chicken soup base to the pot and then bring it to a slow boil.
This chicken soup base from L.B. Jamison’s is amazing and works well with soup, sauces and gravy.
6. Reduce the heat to a simmer for 20-25 minutes.
7. Shred the cheddar cheese while the mixture is simmering.
8. In a sink colander, wash the broccoli, then dice and add the diced broccoli to the 6-Quart pot and simmer for 20-25 more minutes.
9. Add shredded cheddar cheese a little at a time, then with a whisk, mix it into the water/cream soup mixture until smooth.
10. When all of the cheese is mixed in, taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy this deliciousness! I had leftovers just now for lunch and the second day, the soup is even more delicious!
Some of these images were borrowed from another blog post. Check out my recipe for Chicken Dumpling Casserole by clicking the link below.
Cheesy Broccoli Soup Recipe
Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- 6-Quart Pot
- Sink Colander
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 2 cups Water
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 16 oz Broccoli diced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 8 oz Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 4-5 Carrots shredded
- 1 Onion diced
- Place 1/2 cup butter in a 6-Quart pot until melted at medium heat.
- Add the 1/2 cup flour and whisk to combine, cooking the flour for 2 minutes.
- On a cutting board, dice 1 onion.
- Wash the carrots in a sink colander, then peel and shred the carrots using a box grater.
- Add the diced onion and shredded carrots to the pot and cook until tender, around 3-5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl mix together the heavy cream and water. When all of the butter is melted and mixed well with the flour, slowly add cream/water mixture.
- Bring to a slow boil and allow it to thicken a bit before adding the stock.
- Add 4 cups chicken broth to the pot, then bring the mixture to a simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Shred the cheddar cheese while the mixture is simmering.
- On a cutting board, dice the broccoli and then add the diced broccoli and simmer for 20-25 more minutes.
- Add shredded cheese a little at a time with a whisk making sure it blends well with the soup.
- When all of the cheese is mixed in, taste and add salt and pepper to taste, and finally serve and enjoy!
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica's Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.