This recipe will knock your socks off, literally. It is creamy, full of flavor, and ridiculously easy to make. Start to finish, making this Cream of Mushroom Soup takes under ten minutes. As it is concentrated, you can use it in recipes or add more water and serve as a soup. Skip buying canned soup, make your own, and impress anyone you serve this to! As a result, our dinner for the night was French Onion Beef Casserole with homemade cream of mushroom soup as a sauce base, as it was amazing.
Published November 10, 2021
Updated March 24, 2022
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, I will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost for you).
Cost to make this recipe
Most recipes I make cost WAY less than buying it from a restaurant or a grocery store pre-made. This recipe, however, does not cost less than buying it from a store. But what you pay for increased price you will be paid back for in a way better flavor and result.
Myself, I cannot stand the taste of canned cream of mushroom soup anymore. Just like homemade alfredo sauce, once you make it from scratch, you will never want to go back to canned. Making delicious meals from scratch and also finding recipes that replace canned or premade foods is the best and worst. For example, it is the best because foods taste amazing again and are so much cheaper, and the worst because you then have to make all of the food.
Minced Onion $0.05
Minced Garlic $0.25
Chicken Broth $0.10
To make one batch of this soup, the cost is $2.59.
I doubled the recipe, so my cost was $5.18 for three cups of cream of mushroom soup concentrate for a total of 38-ounces. Compared to canned, I made basically the cost of three cans of soup for the cost of $1.71 each.
One can of cream of mushroom soup at ALDI is $0.59. At any other store, a name brand can of soup costs $1.69 for 10-ounces.
An alternative to white cap mushrooms would be to use portabella mushrooms instead. To use these instead of white cap mushrooms, make sure to remove the stems as they can get tough and not cook down the same. Also, if the ribs on the underside of portabella mushrooms are large, use a teaspoon and scrape them off as they can cause the soup to turn a dark brown color.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
1 Tbsp butter
8-oz white mushrooms
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1. Wipe any residue off of the mushrooms and dice so the mushrooms are tiny pieces.
Typically, I dice them, but to save time I tried using my Cuisinart Food Processor, however this worked amazingly well and had 2-pints of mushrooms cut up tiny in half a minute.
2. Firstly, in a large saucepan, melt 1 Tablespoon butter on medium-high heat.
3. Secondly, add mushrooms to the pan and sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until the mushrooms release most of their liquid.
The liquid will be evaporated when you slide a spatula through them, and no liquids run in the path.
4. Thirdly, add 1/2 tsp onion powder and 1/2 tsp garlic powder to the mushrooms when the liquid is released. Typically, I use powdered seasoning, but today used 2 garlic cloves that were minced and 1 tsp minced onion. Whichever you choose, stir to combine and then blend into the mushrooms.
If you choose to use minced garlic, leave it cooking in the center of the pan until fragrant before stirring.
5. Fourthly, add 3/4 cup chicken, beef or vegetable broth to the mushrooms and bring to a simmer.
My new favorite stock is L.B. Jamison’s soup base, and with just 2 tsp per cup of water, you can make stock, gravy, soup, alfredo and more. This step is where you can choose to then use vegetable stock to make a vegetarian version of this cream of mushroom soup.
6. Then, in a measuring cup, whisk together the 1/4 cup flour and 1/2 cup milk until smooth.
7. Finally, pour the milk and flour mixture into the mushrooms on medium heat and whisk until combined. Cook until thickened, whisking until it is all completely blended.
That’s it! Just seven quick steps to make your own cream of mushroom soup. Once you make this recipe, you will not want to buy canned soup again as this has so much more flavor.
Use it as you would with canned cream of mushroom soup, as this recipe is concentrated just like store-bought. Just tastier.
Tonight, for dinner, we are having French Onion Beef Casserole, using cream of mushroom soup as the sauce base. By adding Greek yogurt and more milk or water, the soup becomes an incredibly creamy and flavorful sauce. Click the link below for my recipe for French Onion Beef Casserole.
Recipe for Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Large Saucepan
- Cutting board
- Measuring Cup
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp butter8-oz white mushrooms1/4 tsp onion powder1/8 tsp garlic powder3/4 cup chicken broth1/4 cup flour1/2 cup milk
- 8 oz White Mushrooms whole
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3/4 cup Chicken Broth
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Milk
- Wipe any residue off of the mushrooms and then mince or dice into tiny pieces.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1 Tablespoon butter on medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until the mushrooms release most of their liquid.
- Add 1/2 tsp onion powder and 1/2 tsp garlic powder to the mushrooms when the liquid is released.
- Add 3/4 cup chicken, beef or vegetable broth to the mushrooms and bring to a simmer.
- Then in a medium bowl, whisk together the 1/4 cup flour and 1/2 cup milk until smooth.
- Pour the milk and flour mixture into the mushrooms on medium heat and whisk until combined.
- Cook until thickened, whisking until it is all completely blended, around 2 minutes.
Copyright: All content and photos on Monica’s Scratch Kitchen are copyright protected. Please do not use them without written permission. Thank you.